*Regulations 2020; The European Geographic Olympiad*
The European Geographic Olympiad “SARAJEVO 2020”:
23 – 28 JUNE 2020
The Geography Olympiad of Central, South and South Eastern Europe is essentially an individual competition for the students from 12 to 19 years of age, where their geographical knowledge and skills are tested. The Olympiad is a contest of students of two age groups:
- Juniors – 12 to 15 years of age, and
- Seniors – 16 to 19 years of age.
The official language of the European Geographic Olympiad is English. Students must be able to answer test questions in the official language (English);
The European Geographic Olympiad consists of a competition, social activities and excursions.
Each participating country sends a team of maximum eight students for each age category group.
In addition to the students, two adult team leaders are invited.
- They must be involved in geography teaching their country.
- Each of them must be able to speak and writethe official language of the Olympiad(English).
The Olympiad tests
A). The tests of the Olympiad are as follows:
- written test
- multimedia test and
- fieldwork exercise.
B). The marks assigned for the Olympiad are:
- written test (40% of total marks),
- multimedia test (20%) and
- fieldwork exercise (40%).
The three test elements are preferably organized on different days, which may be any day of the week. The examples of previous test questions can be found on the Olympiad’s website.
A). The Written Response Test:
Selected topics/themes for competition in the Written Response Test of the European Geographic Olympiad 2020 are the following :
- Climate and climate change
- Development geography and regional disaprities
- Urban geography
The written response test is compiled specifically for both age categories in accordance with the students’ abilities.
B). The Multi Media Test consists of:
- the test will cover all 12 topics from the Ruls list
- climate& climate change
- environmental geography
- agricultural geography
- economic geography
- development geography
- urban geography,
- cultural geography
TheMulti Media Testis compiled specifically for both age categories in accordance with the students’abilities.
C). The Fieldwork Exercise consists of:
- Observation and mapping.
- Analysis of spatial issue in fieldwork area including additional data gathering.
- Problem-solving exercise leading to a proposal including a spatial plan or map.
The Fieldwork Exerciseis compiled specifically for both age categories in accordance with the students’ abilities.
- Registration fees for the competition is one of the main sources of financing the organization of the competition. Registration fee for the 2019 competition is 200 euros per person. Тhe amount of the fee covers the costs of accommodation, food, transfers, excursions and cultural events.
- The local organiser covers all other expenses incurred in holding the Geographical olympiad.
Poster presentation :
- Students from each participating country, in both categories, prepare a poster on the theme:
- Air pollution (environmental protection) solving air pollution
The format of the poster is A0, vertical printing.
The special jury evaluates the poster presentation and the best ones receive awards.
Students of each participating country,both categories together, have 5 to 10 minutes to display at a cultural evening in the form of presentations, sketches or in any other way the cultural, geographical, tourist, traditional and all other landmarks of their country.
Local Organization Committee