Political geography (Political status of territories- sovereignty and dependence)
1. What is meant by the term ”an independent state“ ?
2. What does the term “colonial possession” mean? Name three French colonial possessions (today).
3. What does the term “protectorate” mean? Name two former Brittain protectorates in Africa.
4. What is difference between enclave and exclave? Find one example for each.
5. Belgium had one big collonial possession in Africa. Name it and explain why it was so important for Belgium.
6. Russia is federal country. What does this mean?
- Where do glaciers occur?
- What is an accumulation zone?
- Describe a firn.
- What can be formed if a cirq melts, leaves a depression, and then that depression is filled with water?
- Name different types of morraines.
6. What landform is on this picture?
1. What is tierra templada and which crops can be cultivated on it?
2. What is the difference between sugar-beet and sugar-cane?
3. What are the main disadvantages of peri-urban farming?
4. Name the characteristic features of agriculture in areas of high population density.
5. In which type of agriculture, religion had the positive influence?
6. Why does India have the most cattle in the world (almost 15% of all cattle)?
Third world urbanization within a global urban system
- Model of the Subsaharan African City; Model of the Latin American City Structure; Model of the Large Southeast Asian City.
- What do you understand by the term ‘peripheral urbanization’?
- Explain the difference between informal and illegal settlements.
- Identify the principal diseases affecting the urban poor population.
- Samlor (Thailand), tuk-tuk (Indonesia), dolmus (Turkey), tro-tro (Ghana) and gbakas (Côte d’Ivoire) are main forms of vehicles inherent to paratransit type of transport. Define ‘paratransit’ or intermediate public transport and explain its advantages over the commercial public transport.
Geographiy of globalization
- What were the main processes behind the globalization of the world economy in the years up to the First World War?
- How does contemporary globalization differ from earlier periods of global economic integration?
- To what extent has globalization been produced by national governments?
- What groups of people and countries have benefited most from economic globalization?